55+ Senior Home Safety Resources
Aging in place at home is preferable for most seniors, as it allows them to stay in the home where they are comfortable. But as elderly adults age, it becomes more important than ever to ensure that homes are safe. For example, rugs should be taped down to avoid slipping, and a fire escape plan that takes abilities into consideration will need to be made. In these resources from government agencies, universities, and other trusted organizations, you'll learn about these tasks and more to find out how to stay safe at home as a senior.
Senior Home Safety Checklists and Assessments
Ready to check off your list and make sure that your home is safe? Use these resources for assessments and checklists to find out if you have any items that need attention in your home.
- Housing Safety Checklist for Older People: NC State University's guide shares checklists for general safety, kitchen safety, and more for elderly at home.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission Safety for Older Consumers Home Safety Checklist: The CPSC's checklist for senior home safety helps elderly to prepare for emergencies and identify possible safety problems.
- Elderly Home Safety Checklist: Use this checklist to determine whether or not a senior is safe enough to live at home. This checklist considers stair safety, abilities, care, and more.
- Senior Home Safety Network: The Senior Home Safety Network offers assessments of home safety for seniors nationwide.
- Home Safety for the Elderly: This guide from the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors focuses on specific areas of the home where it's important to inspect for safety hazards.
- 7 Signs the Senior in Your Life Might Have Poor Safety Concerns at Home: Should you be worried about an elderly loved one's safety? Watch for these seven dangerous signs.
- Safe Home Connections: Get resources for a safer senior home with Safe Home Connections. You can take a home safety survey on their website, get a home safety evaluation, get recommendations for home safety, and more.
- Adapt Your Home for Elderly Parents with a Home Safety Checklist: Use this checklist from Allstate to ensure that your home is safe for elderly parents if they move in.
- Home Safety: How Well Does Your Home Meet Your Needs?: AARP's caregiving checklist assesses the safety of walkways, appliances, electrical, and more.
- Home Safety Services: Home Safety Services provides a better quality of life for seniors. On their website, you can schedule as assessment, sign up for their informative newsletter, or ask the Safety Guy your questions about senior home safety.
- NYC Department for the Aging Safety at Home: Discover home safety checklists including a general health checklist, home fall prevention, senior fire safety, and more.
- Checklist for Aging Parents: Senior Home Safety: Aging Wisely's checklist helps caregivers to enhance senior home safety.
- Erie Home Safety Assessments: Learn about the Erie County Department of Senior Services home safety assessments, or simply download your own home safety self assessment booklet.
Senior Home Safety Modifications & Products
Discover how you can make senior homes safer using safety products, making home safety modifications, and more.
- Equipment and Products That Help the Elderly Live at Home Safely: Aging Care's article shares a number of equipment and product recommendations that can make living at home safer for elderly adults.
- Seniorizing Your Home: Making it Safe for Elderly: See how you can seniorize a home to make it safer with this resource.
- Home Improvement Assistance: Find out how you can get help evaluating your needs and modifying your home for better senior safety.
- Home Safety Assessment: Maryland Health Care Commission's Home Safety Assessment offers a home safety checklist, housing safety checklist, safety improvements for your home, and more.
- 10 Products You've Never Heart of (That Will Make Your Life Easier): Discover cutting edge senior care products that can keep elderly adults safe and healthy.
- Aging in Place Gadgets: Learn about gadgets that help you stay home longer in this article.
- How Medical Equipment Can Ease Daily Living of Senior Citizens: Concordia Lutheran Ministries shares suggestions for useful aides that ease daily living for seniors.
Senior Fall, Fire, and Accident Prevention
Falls are among the most common accidents at home for seniors, and elderly adults are especially at risk of death due to house fires. Use these resources to find out how you can take steps to prevent these tragedies.
- Older Adult Falls: This resource from the CDC shares how dangerous older adult falls can be and proven ways to reduce falls.
- Preventing Falls Among Older Adults: Another senior fall resource from the CDC, this one focuses on steps to take for fall prevention.
- Home SAFE: Find resources for fall prevention, home modification, fire protection, and healthy home strategies from Home SAFE.
- 5 Fall Safety Precautions for the Elderly: Griswold Home Care shares give important safety precautions the elderly should take to avoid falling.
- Seattle Fire Department Fire Safety for Older Adults: View Seattle's fire safety information for older adults including home heating safety, free smoke alarms for qualified home owners, and a fire safety checklist.
- 7 Easily Eliminated Home Fire Hazards: Find tips for removing home fire hazards in this helpful article.
- Home Safety for the Elderly: Miami Dade's guide to home safety for the elderly focuses on falls, fire, and other hazards.
- Simple Steps to Prevent Falls: Decrease your chance of serious injury from falls by taking these simple steps recommended by AARP.
- Fire Safety Outreach Materials for Older Adults: Discover senior fire safety statistics, a fire safety checklist, tips, fire escape planning, and more in this resource from the U.S. Fire Administration.
- Slip, Trip, and Fall Protection for Older Adults: The National Safety Council's resource shares information on preventing falls, slips, and trips in the elderly population.
- National Fire Protection Association Safety Information for Older Adults: The National Fire Protection Association offers this information aimed at older adults, offering safety tips to increase fire safety and awareness.
- Fall Proofing Your Home: The National Institutes of Health suggests simple changes for home safety that can improve the well being of older adults and prevent falls inside and outside of the home.
- Fire Safety for Seniors: FDNY's guide to fire safety for seniors is full of helpful tips for preventing specific fires, fire escape planning, smoke alarm maintenance, and a handy fire safety checklist.
- Senior Fire Safety: With this fact sheet, you can stay on top of fire safety for older adults.
Senior Food Safety
Another home safety concern for seniors: food. Elderly adults are more susceptible to illness from food borne illnesses. These resources explain how seniors can eat, prepare, and store food safely.
- To Your Health! Food Safety for Seniors: The FDA's guide to food safety for seniors explains how elderly adults can avoid dangerous bacteria that may lurk in food with practical food safety recommendations.
- Food Safety: 10 Guidelines for the Elderly: Follow these guidelines to make sure the food you're eating is safe and healthy.
- Food and Cooking Safety for Senior Adults: Follow these tips from Right at Home to avoid contracting food related illnesses.
- Food Safety 101 Training Program for Older Adults: Learn more about the Food Safety 101 training program available for older adults from the National Council on Aging, the National Institute of Senior Centers, and the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service.
Senior Home Safety Tips
Discover tips for the essentials of senior home safety from these resources. You'll find seasonal tips, general home safety, and more.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Tips for Seniors: Many seniors are on regular medications, which have a risk of interactions, overdose, and other hazards. Follow the FDA's tips for practicing drug safety.
- Must-Know Safety Tips for Senior Citizens: Nationwide Insurance offers these safety tips for avoiding falls and other accidents.
- 12 Summer Safety Tips for the Elderly: Summertime and its high temperatures can be hazardous for seniors. This article explains how you can take steps to stay safe.
- Aging in Place: Senior Home Safety Tips: Find general home safety tips, bathroom safety, and living space safety in this resource.
- Top 10 Home Safety Tips Every Senior and Caregiver Should Know: CareOne's guide identifies some of the most important home safety tips for seniors.
- 50 Safety Tips for Seniors: Parent Giving shares a comprehensive list of the most important safety tips that seniors should follow in and out of their homes.
- Cold Weather Safety Tips for Seniors: Follow these tips to stay warm and safe during the cold winter season.
- Home Safety: Easy Steps to Winterizing a Senior's Home: Another great winter resource for seniors, this post explains how you can winterize a senior's home.
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors: Seniors can learn more about how to stay safe at home with these tips and a handy checklist.
- Seniors and Kitchen Safety: Tips for the Home: Comfort Keepers points out the danger of cooking at home for seniors, and encourages caregivers and the elderly to consider these tips for identifying potential hazards.
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors and Caregivers: Bayshore Home Care's guide offers home safety tips that seniors and their caregivers can use.
Senior Home Safety Blogs and Articles
Get ongoing updates and alerts on senior home safety from these blogs written just for seniors and their caregivers concerned with safety.
- Age in Place: Age in Place is an excellent resource for senior safety, offering articles and more explaining how the elderly can manage safety hazards and more.
- The Caring Corner: The Home Helpers Caring Corner blog has regular posts about staying active as a senior, improving doctor visits, and even safely organizing an elderly home.
- Senior Living Blog: Expert senior living advisors maintain this blog that covers safety, aging and health news, even finance considerations for elderly adults.
- Safety for Seniors at Home: Find out how you can make your home senior safe with home security, fire safety, gas and electric safety, and more.
- Senior Home Safety Blog: Follow this blog for senior home safety information and news on senior home care safety initiatives.
- Interim HealthCare Blog: Interim HealthCare's blog offers posts on elder care tips, dealing with chronic medical conditions, managing disease, and staying safe.
- Inside Elder Care: Inside Elder Care examines how the elderly can get the most from their elder care safety experience, including a home safety checklist, resources for finding the correct medication, and more.
- Bethesda Health: Bethesda Health's senior living blog explains how to identify signs that an elderly parent needs help, health updates, and other topics of importance to seniors concerned with home safety.
Photo by Flickr user alexdesigner23